Saturday, April 19, 2008

A day out at Carouge

Well, CNN still says it's going to rain today. Here's what Geneva has to say:





Well, maybe later in the afternoon. I can't emphasise how good the weather is right now. I can see the snow on those mountain tops in the background, and the sunlight is so bright it hurts. And when I'm walking in the street with my gear on I feel like I'm just about to sweat. Of course, when you look at the fountain of water in the centre (that's the Jet d'Eau) you can see just how windy it is too.... the water is actually blasting almost perfectly straight up and the wind is blowing it out in this spray. On good days when you're on a ferry on the lake you can see the rainbow inside that spray...

Carouge

If you're in Geneva on Saturday morning, take train 13 away from the United Nations until the Marche stop. Just around the corner, will be a street market for fruits, vegetables, cheese, and wine....



Carouge is nice, people are quite friendly. If you're looking for a flea market, the place to stop would be Plainspalais on the same line. I stopped there too, but it's not really the kind of stuff I would buy.

Geneva has these strange trees all over the place. I've seen ones with leaves on, they're like needles. I wonder what they're called?


They look quite ominous if you focus on them. The craggy, twisted limbs look like the claws of some strange anorexic creature, and if those are claws, then on the ends of those fingers, those must surely be shrunken heads? The horror! It's a good thing I took these in the daytime..


There are also all these fountains around. Most of them serve an ornamental function in addition to the utility value they once may have had. Many of the spouts are beasts, for instance this one, which looks like a wolf of some kind, perhaps the Roman Romulus/Remus-type wolf....


And this one, which is much more fantastical winged-dragon...


I did manage to find the boardgames shop. It felt just like PI.. :> But most games are in French. Damn it!

Well, back to dreaming. Geneva's a nice place to wach the clouds go by. The clouds have mostly run away now, making it very unlikely that CNN's prediction is going to come true. Earlier, I was watching a fleet of star destroyers bearing down on Geneva, led by a single hammerhead shark...

2 comments:

Felicity Grace said...

The trees are called plane trees and they are cut back severely - pollarded - in the autumn, that's why they are such a strange shape. The new shoots come out of these stunted branches but are cut back again every year.

Zim said...

Ah.. thanks for dropping by and filling me in. Your sketches are wonderful!