Thursday, March 29, 2007

Byousoku 5 Centimeter

I haven’t watched any anime in a while…. Ever since Bleach went into filler mode, anyway. Mostly, no time!
Here’s the first of two shows I want to catch though:
Makoto Shinkai’s Byousoku 5 Centimeter

I’ve watched both his previous two shows, Voices of a Distant Star, and The Place Promised In Our Early Days. At first it was because he was famous for having done Voices on his own – just him and his Mac. But both shows conveyed a certain atmosphere very well – nostalgia and sadness, set in brilliantly thought out sci-fi settings. In a sense, an anime version of my favourite sci-fi short stories.

I especially loved the two dialogues of the two protagonists running in counterpoint in Voices, and it brings a tear to my eye every single time...

Now this appears to be a longer production, much less sci, but with the same beautiful animation quality. Definitely a show to catch!

No comments: