Monday, May 19, 2008

The Relativity of Wrong

One of the two things I always clearly remember Glen Davis (pastor of our campus cell group at Stanford) teaching was, that there are different degrees of wrong, and that believing the world is a sphere is less wrong than believing the earth is flat. It's a quote that really makes sense to me, and a principle that has helped me in a lot of my thinking.

Today, I discovered that the quote is from Isaac Asimov's essay on "The Relativity of Wrong". I'm a big fan of Asimov's short fiction, so this just awes me totally.

Even crazier is how I discovered this, going from Gobwin Knob to Xyzzy to Asimov. Strange paths to true things.

(The second thing I remember very clearly is that Christians have five duties... )

1 comment:

Glen Davis said...

Heh. That was an unexpected pick-me-up. Glad to serve!